Saturday, June 25, 2016

The authentic travelers


There are a lot of travelers and wanderers on the planet these days.
But one group has caught my attention.
I don't see them often, and mostly I am to shy to ask if I can photograph them or ask their story. They are so in their own world it feels rude to interfere.
The first of this special travelers I met years and years ago.

So long ago that I made analogue photo's you put in albums.
We had to stay in Belgium for a few days because French truck drivers were blocking the road to the border.
A firm sea wind was blowing our tent nearly away when a neighbor camper installed himself. An older man with a handmade cart parked his vehicle beside our tent. It was an amazing little house. He even could sleep in it.
He had a shelf so he could create a little dinner table. He brought a beautiful porcelain plate and a crystal wine glass for his dinner. He walked around Belgium he said.
His way of traveling made a deep impression.
Last week in was in Denmark. After I set up the tent after quiet a bike trip I went to the campground kitchen.
In Denmark most campgrounds have kitchens and places to eat.
In the corner of the dinning room was a pile of bags. Some were very chic reminding me of old travelers with beautiful leather bags.
There was not a lot of kitchen equipment and the owner of the bags was looking for pots and pans. His English was not so good so conversation was simple.
The next morning I woke up very early and noticed he made a bed for himself in the dinning room.
So he had no tent or other roof over his head. Only a big inflatable mattress and a bike.
Both men were totally at ease with their own company absorbed in their own world.
They also had a lot of attention for details.
A crystal wineglass, a plate of food that looked like coming from a restaurant chef.
I love their way of traveling and their attention to all daily routines. I hope to meet more of these people on the road. May be one day I dare to ask if I can photograph them.


No comments:

Post a Comment